Volunteering Kindness

For the second day of our RAK week, I want to suggest volunteering for something as way to show kindness.

On Sunday afternoon, I volunteered to help with a group of our teens at church going through WAIT Training. I got to do the personalities and the love languages part. The poster I made with some research from Happify perfectly complemented what we were discussing.

Click graphic to see the entire infographic on relationships from Happify.

My husband John recently volunteered to Skype chat with some science classes in Wisconsin, creating a win-win, because he gets to share his passion and knowledge and they get to talk with and learn from a scientist at NASA a thousand miles away. 
How cool is that?

Our friend Phil volunteers to bring his dog, Sadie, to our school every Friday to visit a special-needs class. Sadie listens to our kiddos read, she helps them conquer their reticence toward animals, and she provides a therapeutic resource that only man's best friend could. Pet therapy? Enough said.

My intern's father volunteered to carry off 536 pounds of non-perishable food donations to a local pantry last Friday at the conclusion of our SOUPer Bowl of Caring. What a gift that was, to come back from the NSOC Open House and find the collection area cleared away. Thank you, Larry.

And yesterday I had several volunteers help me with my session at the annual TCA conference. My interactive breakouts wouldn't work without participants who are willing to help show how my activities work. Sometimes they involve dancing; other times they involve role play. And they typically they involve something silly. Whatever the demands, I rely on the kindness of volunteers to help make my workshops come alive. 

Speaking of kindness, I want to take this opportunity to thank all of my counseling colleagues who came to that session and filled my bucket with your kind affirmations of encouragement and support. What a blessing to be part of such a caring group!


What skill or talent could you share with someone?
Why not consider volunteering kindness today.

Craving more RAK goodness? Click {here} to read 10 heartwarming Random Acts of Kindness stories courtesy of Disney's Baby Zone.







2 comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!