One More Person

I'm thinking today about life and loss, still reflecting on Dr. Kennedy's passing, I suppose, and enjoying the long weekend in celebration of MLK.



So my question is this: How do you know when you've done enough?  Dr. Kennedy, for example, could have retired after thirty years, forty years, fifty years ... but she kept on working ... because there were more lives to touch, more hearts to capture, more wrongs to right. 

It's probably no coincidence, then, that this Wing Clips film clip from Schindler's List came to my inbox as I'm doing my reflecting. Have you seen it? Schlinder has saved some 1100 lives, but he regrets not having been able 
to save more.  One more. Two more. Ten more.


That clip just left me with an empty feeling. So many lives saved, but Schindler's heart ached for the ones that were lost, the missed opportunities, the ones he muses that he could have saved had he put people over possessions.

At the end of the day, you simply must be able to say that you gave it your best effort and focus on what you were able to do rather than 
what you weren't able to do. 

But never, ever stop fishing for that one extra soul.





No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!