Hope In A Box

If you've been a frequent visitor at The Corner, then you might know that my friend Carol has been living overseas for the past four years. She did get to come home every summer, so I saw her four times during those four years but our time together then was never long enough. I wrote a bit about the Carol experience {here} after her visit last summer. 

During the first two years, we wrote to one another by email almost every day. Maybe because it was such a huge time of transition, for both of us. We laughed and cried together about the trials and tribulations of having relocated to Holland. And during the second two years when she was in Dubai, even though it wasn't daily, we still corresponded frequently. I missed Carol so much during her time abroad; what a gift to have 
my friend back home. 

And look what she brought for me from Dubai:


It's a hope chest, handcrafted in India. When I was a young girl, my mom would tell me to put special things aside for my hope chest, 
but I never really had one ... until now.

I was speechless when Carol brought it over last week (after their ground shipment finally arrived); every time I look at it, I'm overwhelmed by her thoughtfulness and generosity
traits that, when I was little, I used to hope for in a friend one day. 
I am abundantly blessed!
What's in your hope chest?

7 comments

  1. Wow! What a beautiful hope chest and such a sentimental gift from a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous gift...and what a special friendship you have :)

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hope chest is gorgeous! Your friend Carol is amazing! What is in my hope chest? Lots of stuff from high school - play scripts, cheerleading outfits, letterman pins, photos, etc. Money my grandmother collected from around the world. My wedding shoes, each of my children's first pair of shoes...hey, I guess I like shoes! :) A quilt that a mom made from the 1st grade class I taught. One of my baby blankets. Basically it's full of memories. Lots of good memories. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thoughtful friend you have (which are hard to find). :)

    And I'm sure she feels the same way about you!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful as is your friendship.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hope chest is absolutely beautiful... as beautiful and special as your friendship with Carol.

    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!