Life Is Like . . .

It was Forrest Gump who coined the phrase, "Life is like a box of chocolates."  And because the power of a strong comparison can help us better understand stuff, I often look for ways to incorporate similes and metaphors into my visits with students (and sometimes teachers and parents!).  I've used the relationship of the coffee filter, hot water, and coffee beans in many mediations over the years, a friendship metaphor, talking with my little ones about how hot water that's run through a filter over coffee grounds can take the bitterness out of a bean and turn it into a tasty treat. And of course, the caramel and the cream don't hurt!  Anyway, I never thought too much, however, about the type of cup from which we drink our coffee until I stumbled across this character clip from Simple Truths.  

Don't get me wrong; I do have my personal favorites because of size or feel, its message or where I got it. And I totally prefer drinking my coffee from a ceramic mug than from a styrofoam cup. But there's an even deeper significance about how Life Is Like Coffee.  

So grab your favorite mug and enJOY this inspirational clip! Then share it with your students and have them write about or discuss the prompt 
Life Is Like . . . 



2 comments

  1. Good Morning, Friend!

    So... I finally have access to Internet... and I find your post about COFFEE... with a cup that says JOY.

    Life doesn't get much better than this.

    So, I will savor my morning coffee and reflect on how much I enJOY knowing you!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Barbara! I have been trying to teach my kiddos empathy using the book How and I to walk in your shoes? and they are struggling to get the concept. I'm about ready to bring in two pairs of shoes and label them yours and mine---Any suggestions would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!