The Sprout

My brother Mark found this sprig, the first sign of spring in his Wisconsin yard last week. Can you identify this little sprout?


Such a small sprout; I'm not sure how he saw it!


If you said asparagus, you're right!  Hardly noticeable now, it'll be a yummy side dish before he knows it.  Down here it's a delicacy and quite expensive, but that perennial vegetable plant actually grows wild in the ditches up north.  I never did acquire a taste for asparagus, but I'm told that steamed and served with garlic butter it's quite delicious. One whiff of asparagus and I'm transported home; funny how a scent can so vividly do that, take us back to a memory.

Click the image to experience the book on You Tube.

This picture also reminds me of a book called The Lotus Seed by Sherry Garland.  Do you know this story?  A young vietnamese girl forced to leave her home grabs a seed that reminds her of the Emperor and instantly transports her back home.  Click here for some ideas on how you might use this endearing story about culture, hope and tradition.





1 comment

  1. www.waunakee.k12.wi.us/faculty/jhoward/jo.cfmMay 2, 2012 at 6:14 AM

    Since I live in Wisconsin, I know all about asparagus. We used to walk the railroad track to seek it out. One of the best recipes I use for it is spray it with an olive oil, sprinkle on parmesan cheese and grill it for three minutes. It is crispy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!